MUSKODAY COMMUNITY SCHOOL
POSITION TITLE: HEAD CARETAKER/MAINTENANCE
Reports to: School Administrator
The Head Caretaker/Maintenance person is responsible for providing a safe, clean environment for students, staff and the public. This position oversees the day-to-day operation of the facility.
Required Education, Knowledge, Qualifications and Experience:
Current CPIC and Vulnerable Sector check
Minimum Grade 12 education or equivalent.
Fireman’s Certificate (AKA: Boiler Operators) or higher.
Current WHMIS certification
Knowledge of the cleaning industry including current practices.
Knowledge of cleaning processes, products and equipment.
Knowledge of building maintenance procedures and practices.
Knowledge of basic maintenance and tools required.
Basic computer skills.
Required Skills and Abilities:
· Ability to work with minimal supervision.
· Ability to work as a team player.
· Ability to display a positive work attitude.
· Ability to deal tactfully with school staff, students, parents and the public.
· Ability to execute written and oral instructions sufficient for the safe, competent use of caretaking supplies, operation of equipment and the execution of school caretaking procedures.
· Ability to plan and implement the cleaning program as it pertains to the facility.
· Ability to conduct repairs and regular maintenance on:
o Caretaking equipment
o State of the art mechanical, HVAC, and electrical systems
o Plumbing, carpentry and architectural hardware (i.e. door closers, locks, etc.)
· Familiarity with the use of computerized building control systems.
· Ability to do medium to heavy lifting.
· Ability to coordinate with the principal, user groups and various contractors.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Conduct oneself in a manner appropriate to an educational institution that provides services to children.
2. Deal tactfully with staff, students and the public.
3. Be knowledgeable and supportive of applicable school policies and procedures.
4. Practice safe work habits at all times.
5. Perform a daily inspection of the facility, including mechanical rooms.
6. Maintain a daily log book to record snow removal, salt and sanding, playground and perimeter checks, boiler checks, and maintenance documentation.
7. Schedule custodial staff and monitor workflow and productivity in collaboration with the in-school administrator.
8. Conduct seasonal roof inspections (spray weeds, check for damage, and snow concerns)
9. Perform seasonal maintenance of caretaking equipment (service yard equipment, oil changes, safety inspections).
10. Sweep and dry mop floors daily or more often if required.
11. Damp mop floors as required during the day.
12. Scrub, strip, and wax floors when required.
13. Clean and disinfect washrooms and washroom facilities daily or more often if required.
14. Empty wastebaskets dispose of garbage daily and replace liners.
15. Wash walls, windows, doors, and desks as required.
16. Vacuum carpet on a regular basis.
17. Change lightbulbs as required.
18. Dust and polish when necessary.
19. Maintain custodial and maintenance supply inventory, and order replacements as required.
20. Perform minor grounds maintenance (i.e. snow removal, litter pickup, grass cutting, gopher control).
21. Inspect playground equipment structures and surfaces weekly.
22. Lock and secure facility.
23. Be cognizant of the need to be proactive in the area of energy management (i.e. turning off lights when not required).
24. Be listed on the Alarm call list.
25. Other duties as required.
Supervision of Staff:
There is no direct supervision of staff within the scope of this position, however, the Head Caretaker/Maintenance person may manage the workload of another custodial staff member.
At no time should the Head Caretaker/Maintenance person discuss in public information pertaining to a student. A Head Caretaker/Maintenance person is expected to respect the confidential nature of the position by avoiding discussion about any topics that are not formally communicated to the public by the administration of the school or the school division. Breaching confidentiality is a serious violation of acceptable conduct.
The Head Caretaker/maintenance person is expected to work independently.
Working Jointly with Other Staff on Common Assignments or Tasks
This position involves working jointly with other support staff, teachers and school-based administration on a daily basis in support of the goals of the school.
Deadline to apply: October 12, 2023
Salary determined by experience and qualifications
Some training on the job can be considered